GOPB established the Efficiency and Process Improvement Committee (EPIC) as an advisory committee largely composed of representatives from agencies with the mission of fostering a culture of continuous improvement that is collaborative and drives exemplary service for Utahns.
EPIC facilitates a portfolio of state cooperative contracts for agencies and public entities to access tools and consultation services and in developing a continuous improvement resource repository made up of tools, consultants, and valuable training opportunities. Additionally, EPIC develops a prioritized list of projects to recommend to GOPB for efficiency improvement and supports agencies in their improvement efforts, in particular, but not limited to, supporting agencies implementing recommendations from GOPB and LFA efficiency evaluations.
EPIC is the platform through which we learn from agencies of their work and success, raise awareness of improvement efforts across state government, identify and promulgate best practices by sharing success stories, and engage a larger network of operational improvement champions across agencies.
- Jeff Mottishaw, Director of Operational Efficiencies, Governor's Office of Planning & Budget
- Jeff Mulitalo, Deputy Director and Chief Strategy Officer, Department of Government Operations
- Kimberly Madsen, Performance Initiatives Manager, Office of the Legislative Fiscal Analyst (ex officio, non-voting)
Members whose term ends Dec. 31, 2024:
- Cade Meier, Deputy Director, Department of Alcohol Beverage Services
- Steve Gehrke, Director of Operational Excellence, Department of Corrections
Members whose term ends Dec. 31, 2025:
- Shannon Thoman-Black, Director of Continuous Quality and Improvement, Department of Health and Human Services
- Kelly Pehrson, Deputy Commissioner, Department of Agriculture and Food
- Carolyn Dennis, Assistant Deputy Director, Department of Commerce
- Deanna Herring, Deputy Executive Director, Tax Commission
- Melanie Marlowe, Quality & Process Improvement Director, Department of Public Safety
- Chris Hill, Deputy Commissioner & General Counsel, Labor Commission
Recognize Someone for Being Innovative and Recklessly Good
Governor Cox is looking for examples of state employees who exemplify the innovative and entrepreneurial principles outlined in his Recklessly Good charter. Please share the story of an individual using the link below and EPIC will review your submission. Thank you for being willing to share.